Blackboard Frequently Asked Questions for Students
Will I hear from my instructor before classes begin?
Many online and Web-blended instructors e-mail course information to their students’ L&C e-mail account.
How do I log in?
To log in, go to http://blackboard.lc.edu
Your User ID and Password are the same as your Blazernet User ID and Password.
Can I change my User ID and Password?
You cannot change your User ID. To change your password...
What browser should I use?
Blackboard works most efficiently using the browser Firefox
. Blackboard will also work using other browsers, such as Internet Explorer and Safari, but you may find that elements load at a slower pace.
What are the tabs at the top of the first page?
When you log in, you will see three tabs at the top of the first page:
My L&C tab: This is a global area containing modules that list all of the courses in which you are enrolled, any current course announcements, tasks or Blackboard calendar entries.
What are Announcements?
The Courses tab: This area lists only the courses in which you are enrolled.
The Scholar tab: Blackboard Scholar® is a social bookmarking service customized for education. It provides an exciting new way for students and instructors to find educationally valuable resources on the Web.
The Announcements area in Blackboard allows instructors to alert you to any upcoming events, changes, or general information which is pertinent to your course. The most current announcements for all of your courses are listed on the My L&C tab when your first log in. They are also linked inside the individual courses. Note:
Not all instructors use the Announcement feature.
How do I view all of the Announcements?
Click on the “more” link at the bottom of the Announcements module.
How can I display all of the Announcements in the module?
In the title bar of the Announcements module, click on the symbol. On the next page, set the Show Announcements for dropdown menu to All.
What is the Course Menu?
The Course Menu is a navigation frame that is displayed on the left-hand side of your course. It contains the links to all the course elements.
Why can’t I see my Course Menu?
A Course Menu that is not displayed is closed. To open your Course Menu, click on the symbol that is on the left-hand side of the course window.
What is the difference between e-mail and messages?
There are two ways to conduct a private conversation in Blackboard: email and messages. Your course may contain one or both of these.
1. E-mail is not course-contained. If you or your instructor sends an e-mail from a Blackboard course, it will go to the recipient’s LCCC e-mail account. Any responses will be sent to the sender’s LCCC account. For example, Instructor A sends an e-mail from his course to Student B. Student B receives that e-mail in her LC email. When Student B responds, it is sent to the instructor’s LC account. All correspondence is then carried on outside of the course.
Am I notified if there is a new element added to the course, such as a discussion posting, message, or new quiz?
2. Messages are course-contained. The Messages tool contains an Inbox and an Outbox and all communication remains within the course.
When you first log in, you are only notified of any new Announcements on the My L&C tab. If a course contains the “What’s New” module, you are notified of new discussion postings, course materials, quizzes, etc. You are not notified of any new messages that have been posted in the Message tool.
How do I see my grades?
There should be a link to the student grade book on the Course Menu.
What does the exclamation point mean in my grade book?
The exclamation point can mean several things.
1. If a quiz has an essay question, it indicates that it has not yet been graded. It can also indicate that you went over the time allotted to take the quiz.
How do I see my quiz results?
2. For an assignment, it can mean that your instructor has not graded it yet. It can also mean that it has been graded, but returned to you for further work. An exclamation point is hyperlinked. Click on it to check its meaning and/or to see any comments made by the instructor.
You can see your quiz results by clicking on its hyperlinked grade in the grade book. On the “View Attempts” page, click on the hyperlinked grade a second time.
How can I see everyone's posting in a discussion forum?
There are two ways to view the messages in a discussion forum:
1. List View, which shows you the first post in each thread. Clicking on one of these posts will show you all the messages in the thread.
How do I attach a file to the Assignment tool?
2. Tree View, which is an expanded view of all the messages in the forum. To see each message, click the Expand All button at the top-right of the message list. You can toggle between these two views by clicking on the links at the top-hand corner of the window.
Find the file on your computer by clicking on the Browse button on the assignments page. Select the document and click Open. Click the Attach File button. You will now see that your assignment is attached.
How do I attach a file in the Message tool?
Click the Create Message button. In the third section, click the Browse button Complete your message and click Submit.